The duct system is a network of tubes connecting the cooling and heating systems to the rooms of your home. If the air ducts are in need of maintenance and repair, the energy used to cool and heat your home is wasted along the way. Read on to learn how professional duct maintenance improves home efficiency.
Home Efficiency and the Duct System
An efficient home is one that provides a comfortable and safe indoor environment with healthful indoor air quality. An efficient duct system is essential to reach and maintain these goals.
- Home comfort: Good duct design distributes conditioned air evenly through the home for maximum comfort.
- Home safety: Tight ducts don’t contribute to air pressure changes, which can cause back-drafting of combustion appliances.
- Home energy efficiency: Good duct design doesn’t send your cooling and heating dollars into the basement, crawl space or attic.
- Indoor air quality: Keeping ducts sealed with regular maintenance prevents contaminant infiltration to the living spaces through leaky ducts.
Professional Duct Maintenance
Your HVAC professional begins the duct inspection by asking you about comfort issues in the home. Explain any problems you’re experiencing, such as hot and cold spots and rattling ducts. Next, your HVAC pro inspects the air ducts, looking for obvious signs of wear, leaks, disjointed seams and insulation deficiencies.
Duct maintenance also consists of testing for leaks and proper airflow. A duct blaster pressurizes the ducts, identifying the smallest air leaks. To achieve balanced temperatures in the home, air pressure must be in balance. This is checked at each diffuser using a flow hood test.
Here are common problems and the solutions for ailing duct systems:
- Sealing leaks: Mastics and metal tape are the duct sealing materials recognized by the HVAC industry.
- Insulation: Insulation should be added in unconditioned areas.
- Quality assurance: The duct blaster and flow hood tests are repeated to confirm a job well done.
If you would like all the benefits duct maintenance can offer for your Grand Traverse County home, contact Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing for an appointment.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Traverse City, Michigan and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about duct maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Gajus/Shutterstock”