If you’ve recently installed a programmable thermostat, you have the opportunity to save a significant amount of money every year if you use it correctly. Here is a brief guide to using programmable thermostat settings properly for the most energy savings possible.
- Set the thermostat back while you’re away from home and sleeping at night. These energy-saving set points are most effective if used for at least eight hours at a time, such as while you are gone to work all day and the kids are at school. Set the temperature back at night as well.
- Use the override feature infrequently. The more often you override the programmable thermostat settings, the more energy you’ll end up using and the higher your utility bills will be.
- Use the correct hold feature at the right time. The temporary hold overrides the current setting but will resume the preprogrammed temperature when it reaches the next set point. The vacation, or permanent, setting is for extended time away from home. Use this if you go away for the weekend or longer with your family.
- Refrain from cranking up the temperature. You will not be warmed up any faster by boosting the temperature to 90 degrees. Instead, move the temperature by a degree or two if you are uncomfortably cold.
- Program every thermostat in your home. If you have zoning controls that control the temperature in different parts of your home, you need to create programmable thermostat settings for each one to maximize comfort every day of the week all year long.
- Change the batteries annually. Make this a habit that corresponds with another once-a-year event so you don’t forget. Some thermostats alert you when it’s time to change the batteries.
With these tips for using programmable thermostat settings to their highest potential, you will soon begin to see a decrease in your energy bills this winter and all year long. For more information, please contact Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing. We offer service to Grand Traverse County and the five surrounding counties.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about programmable thermostat settings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Team Bob’s services Traverse City, Michigan and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!