The fall season tends to be a hectic time of year for many people. The kids are back in school after summer break and holidays stretch into the new year. Fall is also the ideal season to prepare your home systems for the heating months. Is your furnace or boiler ready to heat your home when the first chill sets in? A preventive maintenance agreement can ease your mind and energy bills, and keep your home comfortable season after season. Here’s how:
Benefits of Preventive Maintenance
Like any machine, your HVAC system needs regular care to work properly. Following are some of the checks performed during fall preventive maintenance:
- The pilot and burner need to be regularly cleaned to burn fuel more efficiently.
- Soot buildup in your furnace reduces heat exchange and increases your energy bills.
- The heat exchanger and flue are inspected for cracks which may leak dangerous fumes inside your home.
- For high-efficiency systems, sidewall venting is inspected for blockages.
- The blower assembly and heat exchanger are thoroughly cleaned.
- CO alarms are tested.
By performing these preventive maintenance tasks — and dozens more — your HVAC system will last longer with fewer repair problems, and provide your home better comfort, indoor air quality, and energy savings.
Choosing the Right HVAC Contractor
Your maintenance agreement is only as good as the HVAC contractor you choose. Use these tips to pick the right one for your home:
- Your contractor should send only NATE-certified technicians to your home. NATE stands for North American Technician Excellence — the gold standard for HVAC technician certification coast to coast.
- Choose a contractor that answers your HVAC emergency call any time of day or night, 365 days a year.
- If a contractor isn’t willing to guarantee his or her work, you shouldn’t either. Choose a contractor with a customer satisfaction guarantee.
At Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing, we have the largest residential service department in the Grand Traverse County area. All of our HVAC technicians are NATE certified and provide exceptional service 24/7/365. Contact us for more information about our preventive maintenance agreement offers.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Traverse City, Michigan and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Thinglass/Shutterstock”