When it comes time to buy a new furnace, you have a lot to think about. What kind of system should you get? What do all the different energy ratings mean? How can you save money on your utility bills? Can a new furnace help heat your home better during the cold Grand Traverse County winters? Let these insider tips help guide your selection of your next heating unit.
The first consideration in selecting a new heating unit is efficiency. About half of the energy used in a home goes toward heating and cooling, so it pays to install an energy-efficient system. To get the most efficient system, you should:
- Have an energy evaluation performed on your home
- Consider your climate and how hard your furnace will have to work in the winter
- Look for the Energy Star label on the unit and understand AFUE ratings, which rate the efficiency of heating systems
- And use a trusted, local contractor who knows the climate and what will work best for different homes
There are several different types of furnaces to choose from, but your selection process doesn’t end once you pick one. You also need to choose the right support equipment to help the unit run more efficiently. This equipment could include:
- New ductwork or changes to your duct system
- Humidifiers or dehumidifiers
- Programmable thermostats
This equipment will help your unit run more efficiently and heat your home more effectively in the long run, which saves you money.
The best insider tip, though, is to talk with an experienced HVAC company who can talk about your home’s specific heating needs. Contact Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbingto learn more about which heating unit will work best for you.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnaces and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Team Bob’s services Traverse City, Michigan and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!