When your oil-burning furnace isn’t working like it should, your main priority is to get it back in service and heating your home. A professional service call may be necessary to fix it, but before you reach for the phone, try a few of these oil furnace troubleshooting tips. They may solve the problem and save you the expense of emergency repair.
- Make certain the furnace is set to provide heat. A simple error at the thermostat may have accidentally shut off the heating function.
- Make sure the thermostat settings are above the current temperature of the room. The furnace won’t kick on if the thermostat isn’t set high enough.
- If your have an electronic or programmable thermostat, make sure it’s functioning. Install fresh batteries in the unit if needed.
- Check the circuit breaker box to make sure a power surge or other glitch hasn’t tripped the furnace’s circuit breaker and shut it off.
- Make sure the furnace’s power switch is turned on and the unit is receiving power.
- Check the fuel tank to make sure there is an adequate supply of fuel oil and that there are no leaks in the fuel line.
- Check the furnace filter and make sure it’s not dirty and blocking air flow in the furnace. Dirty filters are a prime source of furnace malfunctions. Change or clean the filter if needed.
- Check furnace operating sequence and ignition. Make sure combustion blower, which is usually found as part of the burner assembly at the front of the unit, functions. Listen for clicking sounds that indicate the furnace is opening the fuel supply valve and that the spark igniters are trying to light the flame to burn the fuel. If the flame ignites, make sure the air-circulating blower activates.
Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing has been a reliable source of HVAC sales and service in Traverse City and the five surrounding counties for over 30 years. Our NATE-certified technicians provide high-quality service and repair performed to exacting industry standards. Contact us todayfor answers to your questions about oil furnace troubleshooting or to schedule a service call.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnaces and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Team Bob’s services Traverse City, Michigan and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!