Your home’s HVAC installation is a complicated system, and like any complicated system, it can experience hiccups and malfunctions. While some of these will require professional attention and repair, you can use these five HVAC repair tips to lower the frequency of needed repairs, fix minor issues, and keep your HVAC system in top working order:
- Take care of DIY HVAC maintenance. Some tasks, like changing your furnace filter every month and making sure that your vents are open and unobstructed, are easy to do on your own. But that doesn’t mean they’re less important than professional care: in fact, letting your furnace air filter get clogged is the leading cause of furnace failure. Simply changing it can have a big effect on your furnace health.
- Keep up with your annual professional maintenance. Your HVAC system should be inspected once a year by a licensed professional. This helps keep everything tuned up, and can catch small problems before they develop into larger ones.
- Make sure your contractor is licensed, bonded, and insured. Certifications such as NATE (North American Technician Excellence) how that your technician has the skills to take care of your HVAC system properly, and bonds and insurance help to protect you and them in the event that anything goes wrong.
- Confer with your local HVAC technicians when you upgrade or replace anything in your home. For example, significant home efficiency upgrades may have an impact on your HVAC system’s sizing, and having an improperly-sized central system can lead to lower efficiency, more wear and tear, and lower home comfort.
- Be familiar with the terms of your warranty. When it comes to repairs, having a valid warranty can be a big money-saver. Make sure you don’t violate the terms of your warranty by using third-party parts, skipping scheduled maintenance, or failing to register your system.
For more HVAC repair tips, or help keeping your system working as well as it can, contact Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing today!
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Traverse City, Michigan and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC repairs and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “VooDoo13/Shutterstock”