It’s a fact: the average home has multiple hazards that could, under the right circumstances, cause injury, loss of property, or even death. Maintaining proper home safety will reduce the chances of you and your family ever encountering the problems these hazards could cause. Use the following checklist to assess some of the most common home safety concerns.
- Make sure that flammable materials such as paints, varnishes, solvents, or fuels are stored in approved containers and that lids are kept on tightly. If possible, store these types of materials in an outdoor shed or elsewhere outside.
- Test your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Put in fresh batteries and replace any units that aren’t working properly.
- If you have fire extinguishers in your home, make sure they are charged and functional and that all members of your family know how to use them.
- Avoid letting large amounts of flammable material, such as paper, cloth, or cardboard, accumulate in your home.
- Check all electrical cords, extension cords, power strips, and other devices that plug in for frayed, nicked, cracked, or missing insulation. Replace any cords with this type of damage.
- Do not put electrical cords of any kind underneath rugs or carpets. Keep these types of cords away from potential sources of damage, such as melting, cutting, or piercing insulation.
- If you have an appliance or device that keeps tripping the circuit breaker, have the appliance repaired or replaced.
- Keep all volatile chemicals, such as cleaning materials, paints, solvents, or pesticides, in tightly sealed containers stored out of the reach of children or pets.
- Store chemicals outside the home if possible and keep them away from return air grilles of your HVAC system to avoid having fumes pulled into your home’s ductwork.
Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing has more than 35 years of experience in the HVAC industry, serving customers in Traverse City, Grand Traverse County, and the nearby communities in Michigan. Contact us today for more information on home safety and for additional suggestions on how to make your home as safe as possible.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Traverse City, Michigan and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about home safety and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 231-714-6196.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Skovoroda/Shutterstock”