Your home is your castle, and everyone wants to know that their home is safe for them and their family. Home safety goes hand and hand with home maintenance. To make sure you have a safe home year-round, follow this simple checklist.
There are a number of chemical dangers that can be lingering around your home.
- Flammable liquids and materials are at the top of the chemical danger list. All flammable liquids, like gasoline or lacquer, should be kept in approved safety containers and kept in well-ventilated areas with the lids tightly closed.
- If these materials have to be stored inside the home, they should be kept away from any heat sources, such as open flames, and out of the reach of children or pets.
- Cleaning chemicals should be kept in their approved containers away from children or pets.
- Electrical safety issues include frayed or cracked wires, overloaded outlets and appliances in disrepair. Make sure to repair or replace any wires that are frayed or cracked. Electrical tape can go a long way to making your home safe.
- Remember to never plug in more appliances than an outlet can handle.
- Large appliances should receive their routine service check to assure they are working properly.
- Clutter around the home can pose a large fire risk. Old newspapers, piles of clothing and curtains should be kept away from electrical and gas appliances.
- Remove clutter that’s no longer used, such as broken furniture and old rags. Make sure all chimneys and vents are clean and in proper working condition.
While you can never make your home completely safe, you can go a long way to avoiding some of the most common safety issues. For more information on maintaining a safe home and other home maintenance contact Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing. We’ve been catering to the heating, cooling and plumbing needs of Grand Traverse County for over 30 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Traverse City, Michigan and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about Home Maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock