If you live in the Traverse City area, you know how important it is to keep your home’s heat pump system running properly all year long. If you find that your home isn’t heating or cooling properly, there might be a problem with your heat pump.
If you’re having a problem with your heat pump, there are several things to consider.
- The heat pump has stopped running – Check to make sure it’s powered on or receiving power.
- The heat pump is not cooling or heating properly – Check to make sure the thermostat is on the right setting. Check the filter to ensure it’s clean. If your filter hasn’t been cleaned or replaced in a while, it might be a good idea to schedule a heat pump maintenance appointment. Dirty filters can have a long-term impact on your heat pump’s performance.
- Your heat pump freezes up – If the weather has fallen below freezing, the system may be iced up due to improper draining or snow and ice build up on the fan.
- The pump continues to turn on and off – Check the filter to make sure it’s not clogged, which can cause the system to overheat.
- You hear noises or strange sounds – In this instance, the problem with your heat pump could be caused by many things, so call a technician immediately.
One easy way to avoid having your heat pump fail is to routinely have it serviced.
For more expert advice on troubleshooting a problem with your heat pump or for other heating and cooling tips, contact the pros at Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing. We’ve been serving the Traverse City area for over 30 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Traverse City, Michigan and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pump troubleshooting and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock