How do you know if it’s time for furnace repair or replacement? The temptation is to save money with a quick fix and hope to get a few more years out of the equipment. However, that can be a very costly mistake. Here are five things that must be considered when faced with a furnace repair or replacement decision.
- The age of the unit — The place to begin in making your furnace repair or replace decision is by considering the age of your furnace. If the unit is more than 10 years old, it probably should be replaced. New furnaces operate much more efficiently and will cut your utility bills dramatically. You can get savings of up to 20 percent if you replace your furnace with a high-efficiency model.
- Cost of the repairs — The cost of repairing your furnace is also a consideration. Experts say if the repair bill is over 25 percent of the cost of a brand new unit, go with the new model.
- Number of breakdowns — If your furnace has been out of service several times in recent years, consider replacing the unit instead of having it repaired once again.
- Comfort level in your home — When considering replacement of the furnace it is also important to re-evaluate the comfort in your home. If one room is always colder than the others, it could be because of a flaw in your current system. The new models have variable speed motors which do a much better job of evenly distributing warm air throughout your house.
- Tax credits and rebates — Deals that are available from the manufacturer can also make buying a new furnace much more appealing than having your unit repaired. There also may be incentives from your local utility company or the government to encourage you to upgrade to more efficient equipment.
For help determining whether you’re better off repairing your furnace or replacing it, contact the professionals at Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing. We can help Grand Traverse County homeowners with all their heating, cooling and plumbing needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace repair or replacement and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Team Bob’s services Traverse City, Michigan and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Upgrade image via Shutterstock|