With the cold settling in on Michigan, it’s time to learn about energy-saving tips that cost little or nothing to implement. See a decrease in your energy bills without sacrificing comfort by utilizing these budget-saving strategies to save on fuel consumption:
- Turn down the temperature. Set the thermostat to 68 degrees during the day and dress warmly. Turn the temperature back a few degrees more when you’re away or sleeping for even more energy saving power.
- Replace your furnace filter. Inspect it once a month and replace it if it looks dirty. A clean filter allows for optimum airflow and decreased strain on your furnace.
- Reduce the temperature on the water heater. Instead of 140 degrees, turn down the temperature to 120 degrees to save on hot water heating costs.
- Seal leaks around doors and windows. Use caulk and weatherstripping where appropriate to decrease the amount of air lost through cracks in these areas.
- Take advantage of the sunlight. Throw open the drapes and allow the sun in during the day to naturally heat your home. Close up the drapes again at night to insulate the windows.
- Close the fireplace damper. If you leave this open, it’s as if you’ve left a window open for heated air to escape out of.
- Shorten your showers. You can save hundreds of gallons of water a month by shortening your showers by a mere few minutes.
- Install low-flow showerheads and faucets. These reduce water flow and help cut back on water heating costs.
- Use appliances efficiently. Only run full laundry and dishwasher loads and hang-dry your clothes when possible instead of using the energy-sucking clothes dryer.
- Eliminate wasted energy. Turn off the lights when you don’t need them, put your computer to sleep, turn off ventilation fans when they’ve done their job and unplug appliances when not in use to prevent energy leeching.
For more energy-saving tips, please contact Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing. We serve Grand Traverse County and the five surrounding counties for all your heating and cooling needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy savings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Team Bob’s services Traverse City, Michigan and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!