If your home or addition doesn’t already include a duct system, it’s probably more trouble and expense than it’s worth to put one in. It would be a major retrofit and you would likely have to move out of the house for some time while it was completed.
Luckily, you don’t have to have ducts in order to have a home comfort system to control the climate of your indoor environment. Ductless mini splits were made just for you. They work well on their own or as additions to hydronic hot water heating, radiant panel systems, propane or wood space heating. Here are some advantages of ductless mini splits for homeowners here in Grand Traverse County and the five surrounding counties:
- Small components – with no ducts required.
- Installation – Installation is relatively easy and much cheaper than a standard system.
- Placement options – Indoor air handlers are available as ceiling or wall mounted. They can be suspended from the ceiling or flush-mounted depending on the ceiling design. Mini-splits are easily placed/installed out of sight.
- Zoning flexibility – You can control the temperature of individual rooms by connecting up to four indoor air handling units with the single outdoor unit.
- No energy loss – Up to one-third of the heating or cooling energy can be wasted in duct-dependent systems.
- Safety – Ductless systems don’t require large holes in exterior walls for duct work.
- Pricing – Ductless mini splits have a higher initial cost than a window air conditioner might, but they provide a higher level of comfort and are generally quieter and more efficient.
Experienced and well-established contractors may be harder to find when you are in the market for a mini split. You’ll find that many contractors are heavily invested in duct systems and don’t offer ductless systems. That won’t be a problem when you contact the pros at Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing. We’re a versatile shop and we pride ourselves on offering a wide variety of options for our customers. Contact us any time.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Team Bob’s services Traverse City, Michigan and the surrounding areas. To get started, check out our website.