To ensure maximum cooling and heating for your home comfort, prevent system malfunction and to maximize energy savings, professional ductless mini-split maintenance should be scheduled annually.
Ductless mini splits require a professional HVAC technician’s touch to keep all the components working together smoothly. These are the basic workings and maintenance:
- The indoor evaporator and the outdoor condenser need unhindered airflow through their coils and the blower fins to promote optimal refrigerant heat exchange. The indoor components may be vacuumed using a brush.
- Refrigerant must be charged to manufacturer specifications to efficiently extract heat from your home for cooling, and release heat to your home for heating. Incorrect refrigerant level is a common problem which substantially reduces energy efficiency.
- Maintenance is important to treat the drainage system to help prevent algae growth, and to flush out mineral deposits and debris. This will help prevent water overflow, which can cause damage to structure and promote mold and mildew growth.
- Electrical components must have secure connections without wear, or the system will be stressed, causing the evaporator to accumulate ice. Ice accumulation sharply reduces efficiency, burdens the compressor and drainage system, and can lead to system malfunction. Electrical components should be checked, cleaned, and treated with a nonconductive coating.
- The compressor must be kept clean of debris buildup, or risk overheating. You may contribute to this task, as well, by spraying the compressor with a garden hose a few times each season. Just make sure that you shut off the power at the circuit box, and let the system dry before turning it back on.
- Lastly, even the cleanliness of the air filter contributes greatly to performance, comfort and energy efficiency. It’s wise to check your filter at least every two months, especially during heavy operation seasons.
If this seems complicated, you’re right. While some of these steps you may do yourself, the technical aspects require the assistance of a highly qualified HVAC technician.
Contact Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing to schedule ductless mini-split maintenance. We serve residents of Grand Traverse County and the five surrounding counties.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about ductless mini-split maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.