Learn a few air conditioning basics to help keep your home cool this summer. Understanding the ins and outs of how your cooling system operates will help you recognize a problem before it turns costly.
How A/C Works, the Basics
Along with the long, lazy days of summer come uncomfortable heat and humidity. Though you expect summer temperatures outside to rise, you still want comfortable conditions within the confines of your own home. An air conditioning system that functions properly cools your home by blowing the warm air across cold refrigerant-filled coils that absorb the heat and cool the air. This cool, comforting air is then circulated throughout your home via ducts while the heat that was transferred to the coils is deposited outside. It’s a simple process of in and out, but even the most basic processes sometimes experience glitches that can become costly if left unattended.
Signs Your Air Conditioning System Needs Attention
- One room is warmer/cooler than the rest of the house
- Strange odors are coming from your vents
- Your energy bill is unusually high
- Your home feels moist and clammy
If you’re experiencing any of these problems with your existing cooling system, it’s time to call on the services of a professional.
Optimizing Your Cooling System
With your cooling system in place, practice simple home comfort tips to help keep cooling costs low and your unit functioning at maximum levels:
- Keep windows and exterior doors closed when the A/C is operating.
- Ensure doors and windows are properly caulked and apply weatherstripping where needed.
- Keep the drapes pulled in windows that directly face the sun.
- Inspect the A/C filter monthly and change it when it looks dirty.
- Schedule annual maintenance for your A/C to make sure it continues operating as it was designed.
Contact Us Today
Contact us for help building upon your air conditioning basics. Team Bob’s Heating Cooling Plumbing has been serving the Grand Traverse County area for more than 30 years. We have the know-how, experience and customer service skills to help make this summer your coolest and most comfortable one yet.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Traverse City, Michigan and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C basics and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock